2017 Catalina Island 5-Day Workshop
Monday, January 16th thru Friday, January 20th
This is a great way to beat the winter blues and learn some great things along the way!
Schedule for the week:
- Sunday, Jan 15th Orientation Dinner (Steve's Steakhouse, 6:30pm)
- Monday, Jan 16th Lecture & Demo
- Tuesday, Jan 17th Painting Avalon Harbor
- Wednesday, Jan 18th Painting Avalon Harbor
- Thursday, Jan 19th Trip to Shark Harbor, (Back side of island) weather permitting
$20-25 bus fee for round trip (cost depends on the number of students going)
- Friday, Jan 21st painting from high points above Avalon Harbor
Cost: $850, make checks payable to: Joseph Paquet Studio, LLC.
Transportation, Meals and Hotel are the responsibility of each student.
Airline Tickets: I recommend an early morning flight to Orange County Airport (John Wayne) as you will need a shuttle and boat. Plan to arrive on Saturday or Sunday.
* Remember, you will need a plane, shuttle and boat, so apportion your time accordingly.
Shuttle and Boat to Catalina Island: You can save by getting both tickets through Karmel Shuttle 1.888.995.7433.
The shuttle takes approximately 1 hour to “The Landing” at Long Beach for the Catalina Express Boat. You must be there 1 hour prior to boat departure and off-season boat departures are reduced so call for schedule.
Hotel: Villa Portofino
Villa Portofino has given the group reduced reduced rates and is holding a block of 16 rooms for us but rooms need to be reserved early.
- Rooms are under the name Joe Paquet, be sure to mention this for the special rate
- Rooms will be blocked from Saturday, January 16 to Saturday, January 23.
- Queens $65 weekday and $105 weekend
- Kings $75 weekday and $125 weekend
- Suites and Deluxe rooms receive a 10% discount
- Room Tax Rate: 12%
- Room block will be held up to 30 days prior to arrival
- Payment is will be taken 30 days prior to arrival
- RESERVATIONS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
- You can ship boxes ahead and Villa Portofino will hold them for you
- Sending boxes to hotel: best to ship a week prior to your arrival, as weather can affect Island deliveries.
Contact: John @ 310.510.0555 Ex 122
Required Materials List
- Good Field Easel or Tripod based Pochade Box
- Painting Umbrella (Artwork Essentials in Irvine California has the best I've used)
- White – Cremnitz or Titanium (your choice)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (Old Holland or Rembrant)
- Cadmium Yellow (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Orange (Winsor Newton)
- Cadmium Scarlet or Cadmium Red Light (Winsor Newton)
- Alizarin Crimson (Winsor Newton)
- Manganese Blue (Old Holland or Bloxx)
- Cobalt Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ultramarine Blue (Winsor Newton)
- Ivory Black (Winsor Newton)
- Raw Umber (Winsor Newton. For Toning Panels)
- Pthalo Green (Old Holland or Gamblin)
- Painting Medium – 50/50 Mixture of Cold Pressed Linseed Oil & Gamsol or Turpenoid. (Keep in a separate bottle)
- Palette Cups
- Paper Towels
- Garbage Bags
- Palette Knives (2)
- Brushes - Long Bristle Flats or Filberts (Two each, #2, #4, #6, #8, #10)
- Panels (your choice) Sizes: 8x10”, 9x12”, 11x14”, 12x16” (or metric equivalent)
Plan on two paintings each day. Panels should be toned with a light imprimatura of Raw Umber & White. As for value, think Mocha!
- Brush Washer (Be sure to keep it double bagged in ziplock bags)
- Sennelier Gel 'N Dry – This is ideal to mix with your white when traveling to ensure bringing home dry panels.
- Panel Box – to safly transport panels
To Register for the Catalina Workshop
Enrollment is limited, so do not hesitate to register. Registration forms (available here) must be completed in full and accompanied by a check to reserve your position in class.